Murder at Spirit Falls was inspired by our own book club. We hope it strikes a chord with book clubs across the country and prompts the kind of discussion our own group loves. If your book club is interested in inviting the author(s) to participate in your discussion, either in person or by e-mail, please use the contact form on the right.
Here are a few discussion questions to get you started. We’d also love to know if your group discussion came up with other provocative topics or questions.
DISCUSSION GUIDE – Murder at Spirit Falls
1. In what ways are the women of the book club “no ordinary women?” In what ways are they ordinary? What defines the difference?
2. Who are the women in your life that have most influenced you?
3. Did you identify with any of the characters?
4. Has anyone you know experienced cancer? If this were happening to you, how do you think you would deal with it?
5. Robin’s husband, Brad, has trouble offering her the support she wants. If you were going through a life-threatening illness, in what ways would you want your partner/family/friends to show support?
6. Catherine seems to have an ability to know or see things others do not. Do you know someone who has the Sight? How much faith do you put in clairvoyance, ESP, precognition or other paranormal phenomena?
7. What would explain Robin’s fear of the dark? How does she cope with it? In what ways have you worked through your own fears, or even embraced them?
8. Several of the characters are animal owners/animal lovers; for example, Catherine is heavily involved with companion animal causes. Have you ever seen involvement like this become extreme? What issues does this raise?
9. Like many parents, Robin has conflicted relationships with her daughters that are unresolved in this book. Did getting to know Robin’s background give you empathy for her situation? What parenting advice would you give her?
10. Part of the fun of mystery writing is seeding “foreshadowing,” or possible clues throughout the book. Who were your suspects? At what point did you know “whodunnit”?
11. Has your view of friendship changed over time? Does friendship change as one ages? If so, how have you dealt with that change?
12. The women have been coming to Spirit Falls together for a long time. What special place plays a role in your life?